Verizon, FiOS, and CLEC/UNE orders (was AT&T diversity)

Eric Wieling EWieling at nyigc.com
Wed Mar 21 19:46:18 UTC 2012

-----Original Message-----
From: Michael Thomas [mailto:mike at mtcc.com]
Sent: Wednesday, March 21, 2012 3:16 PM
To: Jay Ashworth
Cc: NANOG
Subject: Re: Verizon, FiOS, and CLEC/UNE orders (was AT&T diversity)

On 03/21/2012 11:58 AM, Jay Ashworth wrote:
> [...]

So if Verizon is on the hook to support the CLEC's, why are they pulling the local loop? I'm sure it isn't free to pull it and certainly not to reinstall it, so what might be their motivation?

Mike

They are required to reinstall copper in many cases.  The problem is that the FIOS is removed before the copper is reinstalled (as far as I can tell this is Policy), leading to several days, often a week or more, of downtime for the customer.  They count on the fact no customer in their right mind would consider a week of downtime acceptable.