spammers trying to "lease" IP space?

Michael Holstein michael.holstein at csuohio.edu
Wed Mar 21 14:44:09 UTC 2012

I know this tactic isn't exactly new .. just thought I'd pass this along.

Text below is exact with exception of our ARIN information and ranges
(which any of you could figure out anyway).

Cheers,

Michael Holstein
Cleveland State University

--snip--

*Greetings, NOC or IP Admin at (our ARIN NetName)*

**

We would like to Lease or even Purchase some of your IPv4 Ranges like
(our/16)

“Why do You want to lease our IPs?”

Very Simply: Our Business is the delivery of Opted In Marketing Email. The key
to this business is good stewardship of IP assets to ensure deliverability, and
even more importantly; *Sustainability. *Many of our IP leases last years due to
our investment in our network before we ever even mail. As a result it takes
Several months before a subnet is profitable for us after recouping our initial
infrastructure expenses. So to Hit and Run simply does not make good business
sense, after all maybe if we are good to our word you will offer us additional IPs!

**

 there are two core requirements in any Major League Mail Campaign ?

a. _Having a solid list_ with real recipients and records to prove their Sign up
is vital to delivery but also to settling any complaints registered with an ISP.

b. _Using Multiple IP addresses_. If having a good list is a good defense then
using Multiple Static IP addresses is a proactive measure. ISPs, Backbone
Carriers, Software Makers, and more all use (among other means) Algorithms to
shape traffic across their networks and to their clients. Using an MTA to spread
our traffic across thousands of IP addresses from then thousands of ‘C-Blocks’
we mitigate the footprint of our traffic originating from any one network range.

?/It should be noted here that this email is a Request for Pricing (RFP) and its
recipients have in no way requested it, they have instead been identified
through research, and therefore this email should not be thought of as
characteristic of our normal mailings./

Precision Management of Texas (USA) offers on-demand solutions for brand
marketers and website promotion chiefly through email marketing. Currently PM is
seeking to expand its network capability both overseas and here in the US with
the addition of several points of presence (PoP) in geographically diverse
locations. Precision Management makes no attempt to conceal identity or
intentions as a show of good faith on our part that we will be good customers
with an eye on building a relationship beyond this installation. It should go
without saying that our use of your network will be totally AUP Compliant and
any complaints will be handled in 12 hours or less. We only mail to Top Level
Domain’s and do no General Internet mailing. Also i want you to be aware that we
are an American Company with verifiable references who can attest to how we
conduct our email business.

allocated IP space as possible, however the most important thing is the Subnets
need to have no abuse history.

We can take the IPs via GRE or BGP or other such tunneling solution to where you
have them announced. Alternatively we can advertise them ourselves on our
network, saving you the back-haul. As a third solution we can take a server on
your network with the following specs

One Virtual (or Dedicated) Server –

Dual Cores

1 GB RAM

100 GB HDD?

3 Mbps dedicated - burstable to 100

Term period minimum of 6-12 months

I hope you have read this far and will seriously consider this opportunity to
generate additional revenue for your company.

If this email has found you in error please fwd it to the right person and cc
me. Otherwise hit the un-sub at the bottom!

Thanks,

Edward Wootan
Chief Technical Officer
Precision Management LLC <http://www.precision-management.net/>
3030 LBJ Freeway
Dallas, TX 75234
If you are interested in working with a *Legitimate Marketer *
please reply to this email or call me Direct at *(704)286-6098* anytime.

The information contained within the referenced, linked, or directed email
communication is intended to be a confidential communication between the
original sender and recipient, and is to be treated as confidential. All works,
ideas, or copy within are copyrighted by precision management llc., and are not
to be used in any manner other by which they were intended by precision
management llc... If you believe you have received this or any other email in
error, please contact cto at precision-management.info
<mailto:cto at precision-management.info>