dell switch config export

Ryan Malayter malayter at gmail.com
Fri Mar 16 22:02:55 UTC 2012

On Friday, March 16, 2012 2:04:04 PM UTC-5, Jeroen van Aart wrote:

> Does anyone know if these crappy dell powerconnect switches (in my case
> a 3448p) have a convenient or at least working way of exporting/backing
> up the configuration to a different place? The only thing I can find is
> using a tftp server but it's not working...
>
> Thanks,
> Jeroen

We have a few 6248s, and as I recall the web UI is confusing and clearly
not designed or coded by a native English speaker. You have to use the
"upload" link to export config, and put in the address of your TFTP server,
since you are "uploading" from the switch to the tftp server.

It's a bit more sane from the cli (which is actually decent in the recent
firmware for the 6248s at least).

It is of course possible the software is entirely different on the
3400-series though.

Despite the terrible GUI and passable CLI, we're found the our 6248s to be
remarkable stable and bug free. Some have been up for more than 3 years,
and all the things you expect to be problematic on cheap switches
(cross-stack LACP, multicast, MSTP, QoS) work perfectly.