Shim6, was: Re: filtering /48 is going to be necessary

Masataka Ohta mohta at necom830.hpcl.titech.ac.jp
Fri Mar 16 01:36:18 UTC 2012

Jimmy Hess wrote:

>> If you are saying it's insane to use DNS to manage frequently
>> changing locations of mobile hosts instead of relying on
>> immobile home agents, I fully agree with you.

> and ultimately there must be something that
> doesn't have a circular dependency

It means there is no reason to deny to have immobile home agents.

> As for using DNS to manage frequently changing locations of mobile hosts,
> DNS is almost perfect for that -- it's just the sort of thing DNS is
> designed for,

Not at all, because a DNS client has no idea when its peer, a
mobile host, changes its location.

> depending on how frequent you mean by "frequently changing".

Assuming a mobile host changes base stations every 5 seconds
(moving at 144km/h with cell diameters of 200m) and old base
stations are still usable within 1 second after the changes,
a DNS client must check DNS servers every 0.5 second (reserving
0.5 second for RTT and possible retry).

Can you still say it almost perfect?

						Masataka Ohta