Shim6, was: Re: filtering /48 is going to be necessary

Tim Franklin tim at pelican.org
Thu Mar 15 18:23:13 UTC 2012

> I don't think the term means what Masataka thinks it means, because nobody
> in this discussion is talking in terms of circuits rather than packet routing.

Geographical addressing can tend towards "bellhead thinking", in the sense that it assumes a small number (one?) of suppliers servicing all end users in a geographical area, low mobility, higher traffic volumes towards other end-users in the same or a close geography, relative willingness to renumber when a permanent change of location does occur, and simple, tightly defined interconnects where these single-suppliers can connect to the neighbouring single-supplier and their block of geography.

I'm not sure he's right, but I think I understand what he's getting at.

Regards,
Tim.