Shim6, was: Re: filtering /48 is going to be necessary

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Thu Mar 15 17:31:42 UTC 2012

2012/3/15 Masataka Ohta <mohta at necom830.hpcl.titech.ac.jp>:
> William Herrin wrote:
>>> I know non-IP mobile environment is heavily encumbered. So, I
>>> can understand why you insist on using DNS for mobility only
>>> to make IP mobility as encumbered as non-IP ones.
>>
>> I don't understand your statement. None of the technologies I work
>> with use the word "encumbered" in a comparable context. Perhaps you
>> could rephrase?
>
> OK. You are bell headed.

If you want to be snippy in English, you should first gain a better
command of the language. Neither of your previous statements has a
meaning recognized beyond the confines of your own brain.

>> Your set and his set are both in
>> motion so there _will_ be times when your address set changes before
>> he can tell you the changes for his set. Hence #1 alone is an
>> _incomplete_ solution.
>
> A difficulty to understand the end to end principle is to
> properly recognize ends.
>
> Here, you failed to recognize home agents as the essential
> ends to support reliable communication to mobile hosts.

A device which relays IP packets is not an endpoint, it's a router. It
may or may not be a worthy part of a network architecture but it is
unambiguously not an endpoint.

If that isn't clear to you then don't presume to lecture me about the
end to end principle.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004