Shim6, was: Re: filtering /48 is going to be necessary

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Thu Mar 15 17:11:05 UTC 2012

On Thu, Mar 15, 2012 at 10:41 AM, Eugen Leitl <eugen at leitl.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 15, 2012 at 10:25:46AM -0400, William Herrin wrote:
>> Geographic routing strategies have been all but proven to irredeemably
>> violate the recursive commercial payment relationships which create
>> the Internet's topology. In other words, they always end up stealing
>> bandwidth on links for which neither the source of the packet nor it's
>> destination have paid for a right to use.
>
> I think the problem can be tackled by implementing this in
> wireless last-mile networks owned and operated by end users.
> (Obviously the /64 space is enough to carry that information.
> Long-range could be done via VPN overlay over the Internet).

If an endpoint is allowed to have multiple addresses and allowed to
rapidly change addresses then a more optimal last-mile solution is
dynamic topological address delegation. Each IP represents a
current-best-path coreward through the ISP's network. When the path
changes, so do the downstream addresses. Instead of a routing protocol
you have an addressing protocol. In theory, such a thing automatically
aggregates into very small routing tables.

Very much a work in progress:
http://bill.herrin.us/network/name/nr1.gif
http://bill.herrin.us/network/name/nr2.gif
http://bill.herrin.us/network/name/nr3.gif