shared address space... a reality!

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Thu Mar 15 15:34:22 UTC 2012

On Mar 14, 2012, at 6:54 PM, Christopher Morrow wrote:

> thanks! history is important here.

Policy proposals for "specialized technical allocations"
are best considered by the IETF.  ARIN was aware of the
RFC 2860 (the MOU between ICANN and the IAB) which said
as much, and once we confirmed this understanding with
the IAB, ARIN directed the community to make use of the
IETF process to develop an appropriate RFC for an IANA
assignment.

ARIN was notified by the IANA that the RFC was approved
and was asked if we could assign sufficient resources to
them for this purpose.  The ARIN Board approved assigning
back to the IANA a /10 block out of one of the /8's we
received from them in 2010.  The IANA registry has been
now updated accordingly: http://www.iana.org/assignments/ipv4-address-space/ipv4-address-space.xml#note5

Thanks! (and hope this clarifies things)
/John

John Curran
President and CEO
ARIN