Verizon FiOS - is BGP an option?

Justin M. Streiner streiner at cluebyfour.org
Wed Mar 14 19:32:19 UTC 2012

On Wed, 14 Mar 2012, Faisal Imtiaz wrote:

> Most competitive ISP's (such as Sonic and ourselves) a very flexible to
> customer's needs and are willing to support custom configurations but .. it
> has to make business sense...and the underlying infrastructure be able to
> support that configuration.

I don't think anyone is disagreeing with you, or implying otherwise here.
The point (and this goes back to my original post) was that VZ is missing out
on revenue (and customer service, but let's not get ahead of ourselves...)
opportunities by not offering such a thing as an add-on for their business-
class FiOS services.  If they brand it and bill at as a business-class
service, then allowing someone to multihome using FiOS and something else
does not seem like such an unreasonable request.

As others have mentioned, if 19262 would toss in a few route-reflectors
and let their customers EBGP-multihop to them, that would be a step in the
right direction.  In the scenario I'm working on at the moment, default, or
default+customer routes would be perfectly fine.  I neither want nor need
a full view for this application.

jms