shared address space... a reality!

Christopher Morrow morrowc.lists at gmail.com
Wed Mar 14 14:41:23 UTC 2012

On Wed, Mar 14, 2012 at 7:54 AM, ML <ml at kenweb.org> wrote:
> On 3/14/2012 2:22 AM, Christopher Morrow wrote:
>>
>> NetRange:       100.64.0.0 - 100.127.255.255
>> CIDR:           100.64.0.0/10
>> OriginAS:
>> NetName:        SHARED-ADDRESS-SPACE-RFCTBD-IANA-RESERVED
>>

> Did IANA have to justify this space to ARIN or was it just given to them no
> questions asked because a draft RFC specified a need for a /10?

see the discussion in PPML/arin-announce... my recollection is
something like this happened (paraphrased for the tl/dr crowd):
1) someone wanted more 1918^H^H^Hshared-transition space
2) a policy proposal came to ARIN's PP meeting
3) the policy proposal ran around for a time making friends
4) the proposal passed and the ARIN BoT essentially got a message from
IANA/IESG saying:
   "Hey, before you leap... lookout, perhaps the IETF should weigh in?"
5) an IETF draft was drafted (which later had a baby... so there are 2
versions/parts flying about)
6) the main draft was finalized and sent along to the RFC editor, and
made into a BCP
   <http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/ietf-announce/current/msg09959.html>
7) IANA received this /10 from ARIN

-chris