Verizon FiOS - is BGP an option?

Faisal Imtiaz faisal at snappydsl.net
Wed Mar 14 13:36:05 UTC 2012

I am not familiar with VZ's FIOS network...
however I suspect that if they are using a Redback at the Headend, it
would allow you to have a 'bridge' network with secure arp settings.
(it's a feature that we have seen on Redback's...)

Allows you to have a 'flat network' for all your subs, and there is a
mechanism built in to allow for assign static ip's and also not allowing
for someone to 'fake' / 'steal' someone else assigned IP's. This is
nice, because one can be very efficient in their use of IPv4 addresses....

This is why I had said earlier that some of these networks are built
with infrastructure that is not designed / meant to run advance routing
protocols for an End User customers... too much overhead in running bgp
sessions to hand off a single IP or even a /29  ........

Faisal Imtiaz
Snappy Internet&  Telecom