Xirrus Wireless

Blake Pfankuch blake at pfankuch.me
Wed Mar 14 04:45:51 UTC 2012

Thanks very much to all of the useful on and off list releases.

I would like to also thank Ron Valdez of Vall Technologies for his very prompt sales contact as well.  Very unprofessional, but nice try to cover up the contact with the excuse of "simple google searches while reaching out to local IT firms" to find my contact information and directly attempt to market a product which I just recently asked about here, and conveniently he happens to be a Xirrus Gold Partner.

Summary of what I have learned, including quotes from a few people who said it better than I can reword it.  "Conceptually, it sounds like a good idea to increate spectral bandwidth, but I have a hunch that it falls down somewhat in practice."  Several people have mentioned that only a limited number of radios within each device (3) can do 2.4ghz at the same time (which makes sense) due to signal conflict and the specified specs which say 120 degrees of broadcast per antenna.  Several people have also stated (as well as math) that a single device can only handle about 90-120 2.4ghz clients before there is noticeable slowdown.  5ghz wise experience holds up to specs as far as client connections.  Having 802.11b enabled anywhere has had a very negative on performance of the device as one could expect.  In buildings with many smaller rooms, using a single device to cover so many rooms runs you into the problem of interference thanks to walls, refraction and material conflicts.  Scaling them back becomes tough because each device with its large number of radios saturates  the spectrum, allowing limited overlap...  "Xirrus is overkill [...] when doing small gigs and won't scale [to] very big events, compared to a truckload of cisco APs. Mostly because our venues are not stadium sized."  "Turn up the AP count, turn down the signal strength fill the building 'til it glows."

Thanks for all the input!