Verizon FiOS - is BGP an option?

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Wed Mar 14 04:19:16 UTC 2012

On Tue, Mar 13, 2012 at 11:20 PM, Owen DeLong <owen at delong.com> wrote:

>> C) 5 ips STATICALLY ROUTED AS /32's!! (WTF??) for 25$ above the
>> option-B above/month.
>>
> And people wonder why Verizon is the first to whine about routing table growth from deaggregation? ;-)
>
> In all seriousness, though, I don't think they are routed as /32s. I think that's one for the Verizon CPE,
> 5 for your devices all routed as a single /29.

Nope. I have FiOS and the 5 IPs. They are 5 IPs, in sequence, at a
completely arbitrary location in a /24 subnet. They're not "routed" to
anywhere. I can plug an plain old hub into the FiOS ONT and whatever
machine responds to the ARP request gets them.

I too expected they were going to be a /29 routed to an exterior
interface. I was disappointed since I could have squeezed 9 IPs out of
that.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004