Verizon FiOS - is BGP an option?

Christopher Morrow morrowc.lists at gmail.com
Wed Mar 14 03:57:04 UTC 2012

On Tue, Mar 13, 2012 at 11:20 PM, Owen DeLong <owen at delong.com> wrote:

>> C) 5 ips STATICALLY ROUTED AS /32's!! (WTF??) for 25$ above the
>> option-B above/month.
>>
> And people wonder why Verizon is the first to whine about routing table growth from deaggregation? ;-)

eh, these end up (I think) aggregated on the edge router, so you get 5
/32's from a /23 (or the like) routed to the edge layer3 device. not
as bloaty for the rest of their network as it at first seems.

> In all seriousness, though, I don't think they are routed as /32s. I think that's one for the Verizon CPE,
> 5 for your devices all routed as a single /29.

owen, seen the config on a live router, yes they are routed as /32's
to the VC you are connected to. I probably have the config for my old
link in IM/email somewhere. apparently their automation either doesn't
understand CIDR, or it was 'too expensive' to make the automation do
CIDR once they started to offer extra ips to the business customers.

-chris