Shim6, was: Re: filtering /48 is going to be necessary

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Wed Mar 14 03:13:41 UTC 2012

>> Given that global routing table is bloated because of site
>> multihoming, where the site uses multiple ISPs within a city,
>> costs of long-haul fiber is irrelevant.
>
> I suppose smaller multi-homed sites can and often do take a full
> table, but they don't *need* to do so. What they do need is their
> routes advertised to the rest of the internet, which means they must
> be in the fancy-and-currently-expensive routers somewhere upstream.
>
> This is where the cost of long-haul fiber becomes relevant: Until we
> can figure out how dig cheaper ditches and negotiate cheaper rights-of-
> way, there will not be an explosion of the number of full-table
> provider edge routers, because there are only so many interconnection
> points where they are needed. Incremental growth, perhaps, but
> physical infrastructure cannot follow an exponential growth curve.

Not entirely accurate. Most of the reduction in cost/mbps that has
occurred over the last couple of decades has come not from better
digging economics (though there has been some improvement there),
but rather from more Mpbs per dig. As technology continues to increase
the Mbps/strand, strands/cable, etc., the cost/Mbps will continue to drop.

I expect within my lifetime that multi-gigabit ethernet will become
commonplace in the household LAN environment and that when that
becomes reality, localized IP Multicast over multi-gigabit ethernet
will eventually supplant HDMI as the primary transport for audio/video
streams between devices (sources such as BD players, DVRs,
computers, etc. and destinations such as receivers/amps, monitors,
speaker drivers, etc.).

There are already hackish efforts at this capability in the form of TiVO's
HTTTPs services, Sling Box, and others.

>> As it costs less than $100 per month to have fiber from a
>> local ISP, having them from multiple ISPs costs a lot less
>> is negligible compared to having routers with a so bloated
>> routing table.
>
> For consumer connections, a sub-$1000 PC would serve you fine with a
> full table given the level of over-subscription involved. Even
> something like Quagga or Vyatta running in a virutal machine would
> suffice. Or a Linksys with more RAM. Getting your providers to speak
> BGP with you on such a connection for that same $100/month will be
> quite a feat. Even in your contrived case, however, the monthly
> recurring charges exceed a $1000 router cost after a few months.

Simpler solution, let the providers speak whatever they will sell you. Ideally,
find one that will at least sell you a static address. Then use a tunnel to do
your real routing. There are several free tunnel services and I know at least
one will do BGP.

> Enterprises pay several thousand dollars per month per link for
> quality IP transit at Gigabit rates.

Since this isn't a marketing list, I'll let this one slide by.

Owen