Verizon FiOS - is BGP an option?

Justin M. Streiner streiner at cluebyfour.org
Wed Mar 14 00:32:53 UTC 2012

On Tue, 13 Mar 2012, Faisal Imtiaz wrote:

> Why do you want to do BGP with Comcast or Verizon ? (Over FIOS or Cable ?)

To gain redundancy for a consulting client.

> Is the intent to Peer with their network ? (which they will rightfully only
> allow on bigger fatter connections)..

I think you mean "higher margin connections" ;)  As far as I know, most
major carriers will still sell you a T1 for Internet access (and even
BGP!) if you want it.

> Are you trying to delivery your IP's to a End Customer behind that FIOS /
> Cable Connection ? ...
> (there a ways to accomplish this without needing their cooperation..)

Running BGP over a tunnel is one (albeit sub-optimal) option, but I don't
know of any providers that sell such a service.

All of the other options have varying degrees of downside, i.e. how much
of an outage are you willing to put up with when provider A fails,
transferring DNS records, etc.

jms