Verizon FiOS - is BGP an option?

Christopher Morrow morrowc.lists at gmail.com
Wed Mar 14 00:31:20 UTC 2012

On Tue, Mar 13, 2012 at 8:20 PM, Faisal Imtiaz <faisal at snappydsl.net> wrote:
> So I have to ask you the big question...
>
> Why do you want to do BGP with Comcast or Verizon ? (Over FIOS or Cable ?)
>
> Is the intent to Peer with their network ? (which they will rightfully only
> allow on bigger fatter connections)..

'peer' has many connotations, I think most of the cases of it over
FIOS are just: "I want bgp so I can announce my prefixes, and see
yours/default/etc" (which leads to 'multihoming' and other normal (for
businesses) activities on the Internet.

> or
> Are you trying to delivery your IP's to a End Customer behind that FIOS /
> Cable Connection ? ...
> (there a ways to accomplish this without needing their cooperation..)

or you are multihomed
or you want some semblence of 'the internet is down' so other bits of
your infrastructure can take over
or you want ... a thousand other things.