Shim6, was: Re: filtering /48 is going to be necessary

Geoff Huston gih at apnic.net
Tue Mar 13 22:41:06 UTC 2012

On 14/03/2012, at 9:16 AM, Randy Bush wrote:

>> Yes, the economics of routing are strange, and the lack of any real
>> strictures in the routing tables are testament to the observation that
>> despite more than two decades of tossing the idea around we've yet to
>> find the equivalent of a "route deaggregation tax" or a "route
>> advertisement tax" or any other mechanism that effectively turns the
>> routing space into a form of market that imposes some economic
>> constraints on the activity.
>
> among other things, i suspect that the shadow of telco settlements makes
> us shy away from this.

Agreed. It's all ugly!

The shadow of telco settlement nonsense, the entire issue of route pull vs
route push, and the spectre of any such payments morphing into a coerced
money flow towards to the so-called tier 1 networks all make this untenable.

The topic has been coming up pretty regularly every 2  years since
about 1994 to my knowledge, and probably earlier, and has never managed
to get anywhere useful.

 Geoff