Shim6, was: Re: filtering /48 is going to be necessary

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Tue Mar 13 04:34:35 UTC 2012

On Mon, Mar 12, 2012 at 11:33 PM, Geoff Huston <gih at apnic.net> wrote:
> On 13/03/2012, at 8:14 AM, Iljitsch van Beijnum wrote:
>> On 12 Mar 2012, at 21:15 , William Herrin wrote:
>>> Not at all. You just build a second tier to the routing system.
>>
>> It's so strange how people think a locator/identifier split
>> will solve the scalability problem. We already have two
>> tiers: DNS names and IP addresses. So that didn't solve
>> anything. I don't see any reason a second second tier would.
>
> I think you have encountered an article of faith Iljitsch :-)
>
>    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indirection:  Any problem can be solved by adding another layer of indirection.

"But that usually will create another problem."

Then the test must be: does any particular proposed layer of
indirection solve more intractable and more valuable problems than it
creates, enough more valuable to be worth the cost of implementation?

Still, I concede that it would be "better" to more effectively use the
indirection layer we have (DNS) rather than create another. Better,
but not necessarily achievable.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004