Programmers with network engineering skills

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Mon Mar 12 22:40:29 UTC 2012

I don't believe that is true.

From RFC-821, it is true that:

@ONE, @TWO:JOE at THREE

Is supposed to be valid as a forward path, but, not an address. However,  I believe its
use is effectively, if not actually deprecated at this point.

It doesn't really describe address, per se, but, it does define mailbox as follows:

   mailbox

      A character string (address) which identifies a user to whom mail
      is to be sent.  Mailbox normally consists of the host and user
      specifications.  The standard mailbox naming convention is defined
      to be "user at domain".  Additionally, the "container" in which mail
      is stored.

Looking at more recent RFC 5321,

One important change is this:

   Only resolvable, fully-qualified domain names (FQDNs) are permitted
   when domain names are used in SMTP.  In other words, names that can
   be resolved to MX RRs or address (i.e., A or AAAA) RRs (as discussed
   in Section 5) are permitted, as are CNAME RRs whose targets can be
   resolved, in turn, to MX or address RRs.  Local nicknames or
   unqualified names MUST NOT be used.  There are two exceptions to the
   rule requiring FQDNs:

   o  The domain name given in the EHLO command MUST be either a primary
      host name (a domain name that resolves to an address RR) or, if
      the host has no name, an address literal, as described in
      Section 4.1.3 and discussed further in the EHLO discussion of
      Section 4.1.4.

Regarding addresses, it says this:

2.3.11.  Mailbox and Address

   As used in this specification, an "address" is a character string
   that identifies a user to whom mail will be sent or a location into
   which mail will be deposited.  The term "mailbox" refers to that
   depository.  The two terms are typically used interchangeably unless
   the distinction between the location in which mail is placed (the
   mailbox) and a reference to it (the address) is important.  An
   address normally consists of user and domain specifications.  The
   standard mailbox naming convention is defined to be
   "local-part at domain"; contemporary usage permits a much broader set of
   applications than simple "user names".  Consequently, and due to a
   long history of problems when intermediate hosts have attempted to

Klensin                     Standards Track                    [Page 15]

RFC 5321                          SMTP                      October 2008

   optimize transport by modifying them, the local-part MUST be
   interpreted and assigned semantics only by the host specified in the
   domain part of the address.

Yes, there are user parts that are technically valid which my regex would reject. There are also some invalid addresses which I don't reject (for example, I won't reject Abc. at example.com).

If you want to get truly pathologically pedantic  about it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Email_address#Valid_email_addresses

You may have noticed my particular test wouldn't accept foo!bar!ucbvax!user format addresses, either.

It works well enough for my purposes. I did not claim it was perfect.

Owen