filtering /48 is going to be necessary

Masataka Ohta mohta at necom830.hpcl.titech.ac.jp
Mon Mar 12 07:19:23 UTC 2012

Joel jaeggli wrote:

> That's a fairly simplistic version of why shim6 failed. A better reason
> (appart from the fact the building an upper layer overlay of the whole
> internet on an ip protocol that's largely unedeployed was hard) is that

Shim6 failed mostly because of its complexity.

It is complex mostly because its architecture is broken,
trying to hide existence of shim6 from applications (the end
systems within end hosts), which is against the end to end
principle and impossible, only to make application
modifications even more complicated.

Other added features makes shim6 even worse.

> it leaves the destination unable to perform traffic engineering. That
> fundementaly is the business we're in when advertising prefixes to more
> than one provider, ingress path selection.

That's not a inherent problem of architectures with multiple
addresses.

Destination hosts can listen to advertisements of destination
network administrators and suggest source hosts which prefixes
are preferred by the administrators.

That is the end to end way of destination traffic engineering
without bloating routing table entries.

						Masataka Ohta