filtering /48 is going to be necessary

Joel jaeggli joelja at bogus.com
Sun Mar 11 19:15:33 UTC 2012

On 3/11/12 08:48 , Iljitsch van Beijnum wrote:
> On 9 Mar 2012, at 10:02 , Jeff Wheeler wrote:
>
>> The way we are headed right now, it is likely that the IPv6
>> address space being issued today will look like "the swamp" in a
>> few short years, and we will regret repeating this obvious
>> mistake.
>
>> We had this discussion on the list exactly a year ago.  At that
>> time, the average IPv6 origin ASN was announcing 1.43 routes.  That
>> figure today is 1.57 routes per origin ASN.
>
> The IETF and IRTF have looked at the routing scalability issue for a
> long time. The IETF came up with shim6, which allows multihoming
> without BGP. Unfortunately, ARIN started to allow IPv6 PI just in
> time so nobody bothered to adopt shim6.

That's a fairly simplistic version of why shim6 failed. A better reason
(appart from the fact the building an upper layer overlay of the whole
internet on an ip protocol that's largely unedeployed was hard) is that
it leaves the destination unable to perform traffic engineering. That
fundementaly is the business we're in when advertising prefixes to more
than one provider, ingress path selection.

Sancho Panza couldn't get us out of that one.