Concern about gTLD servers in India

Jonathan Lassoff jof at thejof.com
Sat Mar 10 20:23:20 UTC 2012

On Sat, Mar 10, 2012 at 10:45 AM, Bill Woodcock <woody at pch.net> wrote:

> On Mar 10, 2012, at 8:05 AM, Suresh Ramasubramanian wrote:
>> Sure, if you can find a datacenter that's capable of handling all the
>> traffic, and has staff who are able to provide efficient remote hands for
>> huge racks of extremely powerful servers .
>
> Honestly, we haven't even gotten that far when we've offered to deploy servers (for instance for domains like .IN) inside India.  The bribes that were requested in exchange for giving us permission to deploy a free service were, uh, both prohibitive and ludicrous in their enormity.

This.

This and the import duties on hardware and the requirement for
licensing to operate as an "ISP" makes placing even a modest
deployment a lot more work compared to deploying in other neighboring
countries.

I would presume that Verisign decided that it just wasn't worth the
effort to deploy into India.
It obviously has a gigantic user base for which getting into local
ISPs and IXPs would probably save on transit costs.

Perhaps if some local root operators could donate some
space/power/connectivity, Verisign-grs could colocate a gTLD cluster
there?

Cheers,
jof