[apnic-talk] Concern about gTLD servers in India

David Conrad drc at virtualized.org
Sat Mar 10 16:00:44 UTC 2012

On Mar 10, 2012, at 1:28 AM, Anurag Bhatia wrote:
> Can someone share if there's huge difference in . root servers Vs gTLD servers?

Yes, there is a huge difference.  For one thing (and ignoring the quantity of data), the operations of a gTLD's name servers is managed by a single entity (e.g., for .COM, VeriSign).  The root servers are independently managed by 12 different organizations with no central management.

> I understand that root only hold all TLD's  - cc and gTLD delegation that would be few hundred TLDs delegation while gTLDs hold lot of domain names but if one country has root, what prevents having gTLD also?

I'd imagine business/economic rationales.  From the perspective of a gTLD operator, what's the business justification for deploying non-trivial opex/capex?  Root server deployments are less driven by economics and are more political in nature.

Regards,
-drc