Concern about gTLD servers in India

Anurag Bhatia me at anuragbhatia.com
Sat Mar 10 07:45:32 UTC 2012

Please don't create confusions.

I didn't made any assertion. I mentioned issue with India, but Graham came
with point that issue is similar in Africa. Good point if he knows that.
Certainly relevent to issue I mentioned for India.

Again - I have not verified this. I don't know much about ISPs in Africa to
find their looking glasses and test routing.

On Sat, Mar 10, 2012 at 1:00 PM, Randy Bush <randy at psg.com> wrote:

> > No idea about Africa
>
> then on what basis did you make the assertion?
>
> > but certainly none of gTLD servers in India.
>
> i am slightly suspicious of this.  often, root servers are accompanied
> by gtld servers, and there are more than zero root servers in india.
>
> there is a fashion among root and gtld servers to attempt to limit the
> scope of their ancast routing announcements.  this makes them hard to
> find from a (topologic) distance.
>
> randy

Ok, here's some data I collected couple of months back. I did consistant
lookup for days to be sure that it's not temporary routing glitch giving
such results.

Traceroute to gTLDs from BSNL AS9829 -
http://cdn.anuragbhatia.com/uploads/2012/03/gtld-traceroute-bsnl-as9829.txt

Traceroute to gTLDs from Bharti Airtel AS9498 -
http://cdn.anuragbhatia.com/uploads/2012/03/gtld-traceroute-airtel-as9498.txt

Traceroutes to rDNS in-addr.arpa servers from BSNL -
http://cdn.anuragbhatia.com/uploads/2012/03/rdns-bsnl-as9829.txt

Traceroutes to rDNS in-addr.arpa servers from Airtel -
http://cdn.anuragbhatia.com/uploads/2012/03/rdns-airtel-as9498.txt

Thanks for your time & comments.

--

Anurag Bhatia