Request to lease IP space, or things that make you want to go hmmmmm..

Suresh Ramasubramanian ops.lists at gmail.com
Fri Mar 9 04:16:37 UTC 2012

On Fri, Mar 9, 2012 at 9:26 AM, John Levine <johnl at iecc.com> wrote:

> >do, but I don't think the primary driver is spam, because spam generates
> a lower
> >income stream, and has higher risks of being RBL or otherwise blocked,
> and can be
> >achieved quickly by use of unrouted space.
>
> I think you overestimate how technically sophisticated snowshoers are.
> I just don't see a lot of spam from hit and run route announcements.

More like, they're as sophisticated as they need to be in their routing.
All their sophistication goes into figuring out ISP spam filtering and
bypassing it.

Those phantom route incidents are more often than not associated with bot
traffic, ddos etc rather than snowshoe spam.

--
Suresh Ramasubramanian (ops.lists at gmail.com)