Request to lease IP space, or things that make you want to go hmmmmm..

William Pitcock nenolod at systeminplace.net
Fri Mar 9 00:42:49 UTC 2012

Hi,

On 3/8/2012 5:40 PM, Matthew Huff wrote:
> Just got an email today to our account associated with our legacy ARIN address space. A firm "Precision Management of Texas" is interested in subleasing some of our IP space for "on-demand solutions for brand marketers and website promotion chiefly through email marketing".
>
> The one thing clear within the large amount of marketing-speach is they want "As is the nature of this business PM seeks to obtain as much diversity in the allocated IP space as possible, however the most important thing is the Subnets need to have no abuse history."
>
> Anyone else get solicited?

Yes, they have spammed me regarding some legacy space I control.
> They seem to be flexible "We can take the IPs via GRE or BGP or other such tunneling solution to where you have them announced. Alternatively we can advertise them ourselves on our network, saving you the back-haul. As a third solution we can take a server on your network with the following specs:..."

To which my response was something along the lines of "no thanks."
These guys just want your IPs so they can get around whatever IP
reputation problem they have.  It will most probably infect the rest of
your netblock, as that is standard MO for any anti-abuse DNSBL.

What is odd is -- they solicit anyone with legacy space, even if it's
just a /24 worth, this is odd because they want you to provide them with
more than one subnet, which probably means they want IPs on different
/24 boundaries since some mail filtering systems use the /24 boundary.

William