cable markers for marine environments

Nick Hilliard nick at foobar.org
Thu Mar 8 22:31:25 UTC 2012

On 08/03/2012 22:02, James Downs wrote:
> Don't bother. Unless something revolutionary has come out recently,
> attach-on-to products are the only way to go. In my experience all the
> labels have to be maintained along with everything else that's in
> contact with that environment/liquid. Use something plastic, larger is
> better, and plan to be able to replace them as necessary.

yeah, srsly, marine bilges are horrendous environments, with their
combination of persistent damp, salt and fuel oils.

If it's of any interest, I got a bunch of consumer labels from
www.goed-gemerkt.com a couple of years back for labelling baby milk
bottles.  They were interesting labels because the milk bottles were dumped
into the dish-washer on average once every 1-2 days, but the the adhesive
only began to detach from the first of them after about ~9 months.  Some of
them had the original labels 5 years later - I was pretty blown away by
this, given what a hostile environment the inside of a dishwasher is.

Anyway, they also do a line of printed stainless steel tags:

https://www.goedgemerkt.nl/key-id-tags-detail.asp?productid=149

I haven't used these, but depending on the grade of stainless used here,
and the type of chain used, they might be exactly what you're looking for.

(There's an english translation of the web site too).

a delighted previous customer of Goedgemerkt,
Nick