RANCID script for monitoring the routes received from peers.

Phil Regnauld regnauld at nsrc.org
Thu Mar 8 10:47:28 UTC 2012

Ajay Kumar (joinajay1) writes:
> Hello,
>
> We are running IX in India.Has some one written script for monitoring the
> routes announcement from peers?If yes,would you like to share code with
> me.It can be done via one script under the framework of RANCID.I want to
> know difference of routes,which has been added or removed.
> Thanks in advance.
> Regards,
> Ajay Kumar

	Hi Ajay,

	Are you running IOS, JunOS, something else ? You could do it
	via Rancid, using *login scripts. But there are ways to do this using SNMP
	and BGP mibs:

	http://www.oidview.com/mibs/0/BGP4-MIB.html
	http://tools.cisco.com/Support/SNMP/do/BrowseMIB.do?local=en&step=2&mibName=CISCO-BGP4-MIB

	Note that the network monitoring platform Observium has built-in
	support for tracking BGP sessions.

	Finally, another way to do this that could spare the CPU on on
	your routers if you run this often would be to setup a peer running
	Quagga (or BIRD) on a Linux/BSD host and run the monitoring there.

	Cheers,
	Phil