VLAN Troubles

Brielle Bruns bruns at 2mbit.com
Tue Mar 6 23:15:27 UTC 2012

On 3/6/12 9:07 AM, Alan Bryant wrote:

> We have two switches that do not seem to be passing VLAN traffic. The
> two switches are a Dell Powerconnect 5324&  a Cisco 3560G. The Cisco
> switch appears to be functioning fine, but the Dell switch is only
> passing traffic to the Cisco that is on the default untagged VLAN1.
> Our second VLAN is not getting passed to the Cisco at all, I am not
> seeing any packets tagged with the particular vlan in Wireshark.
>
> I have Port 1 on the Dell switch connected to port 29 on the Cisco
> switch, and port 1 on the Cisco switch connected to the ASA.
>
> I have the following config on the relevant ports on the Cisco switch:

<snipped>

> Anyone have any ideas or pointers? Is there more information that I
> need to provide? Vlan1 works just fine, of course. It is Vlan 12 that
> is not working. Everything on the Dell switch is communicating with
> each other just fine on the same subnet.

I can confirm similar issues between our older Dell Poweredge 1655 and a
Cisco 3550.  Took me a while to figure this one out, considering the
aggro trunks weren't working right either.  Switching it to etherchannel
solved the trunking issue, but I still had some major issues with VLANs
even after that.

I have yet to move the 1655 (since we still use it for lab purposes) to
the 6503.

I hate to put it this way, but I'd love to know what crack Dell was
doing when they decided to use the software/hardware switch stuff they did.

--
Brielle Bruns
http://www.sosdg.org    /     http://www.ahbl.org