Huawei edge routers..

Jack Bates jbates at brightok.net
Tue Mar 6 16:51:24 UTC 2012

On 3/6/2012 4:20 AM, Saku Ytti wrote:
> I've not looked if they do netconf or whatnot, but that wasn't really
> my point. My point was, your system doesn't complain to you daily that
> working with huawei CLI is more annoying than IOS.

On the other hand, if you hop into other people's Huawei routers via CLI
you will curse and scream. As close as I could tell, it handles most
functionality of IOS, but they tried to find a synonym for every word
cisco used in the cli.

I thought working in Alcatel was bad compared to IOS/Junos, but Huawei
definitely is up there as bad. Communicating with their installers in a
multi-vendor environment left a lot to be desired. Their documentation
was somewhat readable.

In general, it is like all the other vendors. A ton of research to make
sure the product does exactly what you want it to do, testing and
adapting engineering plans based on what it will actually do. Extremely
long delays in fixing any bugs or problems which you can't resolve
yourself.

Jack
(spends too much time in cli, needs a versatile translation system for
quick contract work).