Programmers with network engineering skills

Randy randy_94108 at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 6 04:38:30 UTC 2012

if I may chime in -

It is the nature of the corporate-beast which has changed.

When I was starting out in the 80's and even through the early 90's network eng and sys eng went hand in hand.

Today it is far more silo'd. NetEng, SysEng are very *distinct* and as a result different groups today from an operational standpoint.

NetEng deals with tcp/ip(without having a clue as to how apps interact with tcp/ip (generally speaking!!) and the opposite applies to SysEng(once again, generally speaking!)

 So, programmers with network engineering skills and vise-versa are a rare-commodity to say the least.

I don't think it has anything to do with who is *inherently* interested in network eng or sys eng.

In the end:
upto the "$Employer". Know what you are *really* looking for, give them the opportunity to expand their horizons and you will have found your-network engineer/programmer(you will still find people who are willing to learn - that is you greatest asset!!)

( I used to script, write; maybe a few lines of C many many years ago....as a Sr. Network Engineer. Haven't done that for years because $employer doesn't want it as a part of my job: and to $employer, I The "Sr. Network Architect".....<lol>

My 02c's worth wrt this thread.

./Randy