Programmers with network engineering skills

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Mon Mar 5 23:57:00 UTC 2012

On Mon, Mar 5, 2012 at 6:46 PM, Owen DeLong <owen at delong.com> wrote:
> However, the bigger problem (from my experience-driven
>POV) is that it is not so intuitively obvious that developing
>a network-based product using a team consisting entirely
>of developers who view the network as an unnecessarily
>complicated serial port (which, really is about the approach
>most developers seem to take to networking) is also
>doomed to a certain amount of failure.

Owen,

Surely you don't mean to suggest that having someone with domain
knowledge develop a set of requirements and then kick it over the wall
to folks who know how to program but have no domain knowledge is a
recipe for failure? That having linchpin members of the team with core
competencies in both software development -and- the product-relevant
knowledge domains is critical to success?

Regards,
Bill Herrin

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004