Programmers with network engineering skills

Scott Helms khelms at ispalliance.net
Mon Mar 5 20:51:33 UTC 2012

Owen,

     I'd say that everyone's PoV on this is going to be experience
driven.  I've seen both approaches work (and both fail) and IMO the
determining factor was matching the "right" approach with the project.
I don't believe that you can develop a large scale project (large scale
being a team of 12 or more full time developers working for more than a
year on the same project) with people who primarily want to be network
engineers.  Its not a matter of skill set so much as it as what
interests each group and they are very different.

Today I manage network engineers, Unix/Linux System Administrators, and
Java (and Flex) developers and while there are tasks I can move from one
group to another there is usually a best home for a specific project.
Where I usually run into trouble is when I put a project into a
non-optimal group usually because of deadlines.