which one a Technical Support or Help Desk

Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
Sun Mar 4 18:26:01 UTC 2012

On Sun, 04 Mar 2012 09:41:58 +0300, Daniel Rohan said:

> Is your organization adopting any governance frameworks?

I certainly hope not - any organization that needs that many buzzwords in a
seven word sentence has probably jumped the shark so far that it needs more
than a governance framework to cure the dysfunction.

http://www.itgovernanceusa.com/itil.aspx

"ITIL (Information Technology Infrastructure Library) is a best practice
methodology for managing IT as a service. Developed by the UK's Office of
Government Commerce (OGC), ITIL is the most widely used approach for IT Service
Management in the world and is used by companies including Disney, NASA, HSBC
and HP. Organizations cannot be certified against ITIL, however it is widely
used as a method of preparation for achieving ISO20000 certification.

Individuals can be certified against ITIL, and you can read about ITIL qualifications below.

ITIL provides a clear framework for the identification, planning, delivery and
support of IT services to an organisation. ITIL's core principle is that
IT services must be aligned with the requirements of the business and underpin
all processes within the business. IT services should be a business driver,
facilitating change, growth and meeting business goals. There are five core
titles in the ITIL publication suite which cover:"

Ouch.

"IT services must be aligned with the requirements"??!?  I've always wondered
how companies stay in business if they're so dysfunctional that they need a framework
to recognize stuff like that.  Does deploying this stuff in functional organizations
actually work?  Does it do any good?

(OK.. I'll admit there's a one-sentence throw-away about SLA's at the very
bottom of that page - though we don't use them for "governance", just making
sure that everybody's on the same page about stuff like who calls who when
stuff breaks. Usually ends up including lots of clauses like "If you want us to
fix the router you wanted installed in your building, you have to make sure our
techs can get into the building..")