which one a Technical Support or Help Desk

JoeSox joesox at gmail.com
Sat Mar 3 09:04:52 CST 2012

Go with 'Technical Support' unless you want to take all sorts of calls
with end users wanting help on operational training issues.
Thanks, Joe

On Sat, Mar 3, 2012 at 6:56 AM, William Herrin <bill at herrin.us> wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 3, 2012 at 2:46 AM, Tarig Adam <tariq198487 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I am working for a new Small ISP and we are trying to establish a
>> center for receiving technical calls and inquires from customers and
>> the technicians in this center may do some basics troubleshooting.
>> What is the suitable title for this center and what we should call
>> this people who do this job? Technical Support, Helpdesk, or Call
>> Center. does each term has a specific meaning?
> Hi Tarig,
> For what it's work, I think of the terms this way:
> Help Desk: The place I call when I need my employer's IT department to
> fix my broken computer.
> Call Center: The place that wants to administer a telephone survey
> while I'm trying to eat dinner.
> Technical Support: The place I call when a technology product or
> service malfunctions.
>> And is there any standard structure of this center?
> Varies with size. At one end of the spectrum you have 3 phones with
> call distribution from the tech support number. At the other you have
> a dedicated office building containing staff with product specialties.
>>And what is the
>> relation of this people with other network/software Engineers?
> The engineers are second or third tier support. When Tech Support
> can't solve the problem, Tech Support calls an engineer for help. Once
> the engineer does his magic, Tech Support verifies it and then
> responds to the customer.
> Regards,
> Bill Herrin
> --
> William D. Herrin ................ herrin at dirtside.com  bill at herrin.us
> 3005 Crane Dr. ...................... Web: <http://bill.herrin.us/>
> Falls Church, VA 22042-3004

More information about the NANOG mailing list