which one a Technical Support or Help Desk

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Sat Mar 3 08:56:42 CST 2012

On Sat, Mar 3, 2012 at 2:46 AM, Tarig Adam <tariq198487 at gmail.com> wrote:
> I am working for a new Small ISP and we are trying to establish a
> center for receiving technical calls and inquires from customers and
> the technicians in this center may do some basics troubleshooting.
> What is the suitable title for this center and what we should call
> this people who do this job? Technical Support, Helpdesk, or Call
> Center. does each term has a specific meaning?

Hi Tarig,

For what it's work, I think of the terms this way:

Help Desk: The place I call when I need my employer's IT department to
fix my broken computer.

Call Center: The place that wants to administer a telephone survey
while I'm trying to eat dinner.

Technical Support: The place I call when a technology product or
service malfunctions.

> And is there any standard structure of this center?

Varies with size. At one end of the spectrum you have 3 phones with
call distribution from the tech support number. At the other you have
a dedicated office building containing staff with product specialties.

>And what is the
> relation of this people with other network/software Engineers?

The engineers are second or third tier support. When Tech Support
can't solve the problem, Tech Support calls an engineer for help. Once
the engineer does his magic, Tech Support verifies it and then
responds to the customer.

Bill Herrin

William D. Herrin ................ herrin at dirtside.com  bill at herrin.us
3005 Crane Dr. ...................... Web: <http://bill.herrin.us/>
Falls Church, VA 22042-3004

More information about the NANOG mailing list