Network Traffic Collection

Mukom Akong T. mukom.tamon at gmail.com
Sat Mar 3 07:44:38 UTC 2012

Hi Ali

On Sat, Feb 25, 2012 at 6:14 PM, Maverick <myeaddress at gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks Mukom for the wonderful guide, this is really helpful. I have
> few questions about ntop though.
>
> How can I get access to the log files generated by ntop and do my own
> parsing rather than looking for webbased results that are generated.

It's been a while i looked under the hood of ntop. Remember that ntop
itself usually needs to be 'fed' traffic to analyse. I have never done
it myself but if I needed the raw data, I'd mirror a port and capture
it with tcpdump into a pcap file (watch disk space!!) the use whatever
analysis tool suits my needs to look at it.

> Are there any programs available that do parsing of ntops log files.
> When I run ntop on pcap I don't get the throughput graphs as rrd
> doesn't work on pcap is there any work around for that.

Not to my knowledge no. I think there's a switch (-f) for reading data
from a pcap file as opposed to a live feed. I have never played with
that as well.

There are other (possible more feature laden) commercial flow
collectors and analysers out there). I also started following trisul
earlier on in the project, you might want to check it out.

--
Mukom Akong [Tamon]

“We don't LIVE in order to BREATH. Similarly WORKING in order to make
MONEY puts us on a one way street to irrelevance.“