Programmers with network engineering skills

Randy Bush randy at psg.com
Fri Mar 2 22:55:33 UTC 2012

>>> In my experience the path of least resistance is to get a junior
>>> network engineer and mentor he/she into improving his/hers programming
>>> skills than go the other way around.
>>
>> and then the organization pays forever to maintain the crap code while
>> the kiddie learned to program.  right.  brilliant.
>
> +1 Although, I've seen the opposite where a brilliant developer writes
> wonderful code, leaves and you are left with a similarly difficult
> situation since there are no more programmers in the department and no
> brilliant developers willing to do programming that requires in depth
> knowledge of networking.

that was not a brilliant developer.  that was a clever developer.

    by definition, not smart enough to debug it.  -- Brian W. Kernighan

and, if the department was not willing to invest in long-term software
capability, then they were foolish to enter the game in the first place.

go find an open-source solution or buy commercial.  and if none fit your
needs, and you are not willing to invest in softdev, then you have a
problem in your business model.

randy