BBC reports Kenya fiber break

Jim Cowie cowie at renesys.com
Thu Mar 1 23:22:35 UTC 2012

On Thu, Mar 1, 2012 at 4:11 AM, Georgios Theodoridis <gtheo at iti.gr> wrote:

> Has it been known the exact time of the incident?
> I have found an article reporting that the cut occurred in the mid-day of
> Saturday 25th but nothing more precise.
> We would like to use such information for a BGP anomaly detection analysis
> that we are carrying out in our research centre.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> George

Renesys published a brief writeup of the incident yesterday.   We called it
at 09:13 UTC on the 25th.   Lots of interesting outage and transit-shift
effects to see in the East African BGP data that day.  We also report some
shifts in latency based on active measurement, as everyone's traffic jumps
onto the surviving connectivity through SEACOM.   Kenya Data Networks
(AS33770) did a particularly good job staying alive by virtue of their
upstream provider diversity, kudos to them.

http://www.renesys.com/blog/2012/02/east-african-cable-breaks.shtml

best,  --jim