dns and software, was Re: Reliable Cloud host ?

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Thu Mar 1 22:57:11 UTC 2012

On Thu, Mar 1, 2012 at 5:37 PM, Owen DeLong <owen at delong.com> wrote:
> You don't have to reinvent what I've done. Neither does every
> or any other application programmer.
> You are welcome to use any of the many connection
> abstraction libraries that are available in open source.
> I suggest you make a trip through google code.

Which is what everybody basically does. And when it works during the
decidedly non-rigorous testing, they move on to the next problem...
with code that doesn't perform well in the corner cases. Such as when
a host has just been renumbered or one of the host's addresses is
unreachable.

And because most everybody has made more or less the same errors, the
DNS TTL fails to cause their applications to work as intended and
loses its utility as a tool to facilitate renumbering.

> If you want, program in Python where the libraries do
> provide the abstraction you seek. Of course, that
> means you have to cope with Python's other disgusting
> habits like spaces are meaningful and variables are
> indistinguishable from code, but, there's always a tradeoff.

::shudder::  I don't *want* to do anything in python. The occasional
reality of a situation dictates that I do some work in python, but I
most definitely don't *want* to.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004