dns and software, was Re: Reliable Cloud host ?

Tim Franklin tim at pelican.org
Thu Mar 1 10:54:49 UTC 2012

> GAI/GNI do not return TTL values, but this should not be a problem.
> If they were to return anything, it should not be a TTL,  but a time()
> value, after which the result may no longer be used.
>
> One way to achieve that would be for GAI to return an opaque structure
> that contained the IP and such a value, in a manner consumable by the
> sockets API,  and  adjust  connect()  to return an error if   passed a
> structure containing a ' returned time + TTL'   in the past.

AF_INET_TTL and AFINET6_TTL, with correspondingly expanded struct sockaddr_* ?

Code that explictly requests AF_INET or AF_INET6 would get what it was expecting, code that requests AF_UNSPEC on a system with modified getaddrinfo() would get the expanded structs with the different ai_family set, and could pass them straight into a modified connect().

I'm sure I'm grossly oversimplifying somewhere though...

Regards,
Tim.