Switch designed for mirroring tap ports

Jay Moran jay+NANOG at tp.org
Thu Mar 1 08:11:39 UTC 2012

Ameen,

We've had very good success using Brocade MLX's for this very thing
(actually, might be older XMRs, but should be same platform at this point).
Check out the transparent-hw-flooding command under a VLAN. It basically
turns off mac learning, and just floods it on the vlan's member ports.

If you want to be creative and say split out port 80 traffic to one port
and the rest to another, you can use policy based routing to change the
destination VLAN for just tcp/80 traffic.

If you want to have many different inputs going to many different outputs
some with PBR, some without, then you may have to get very creative and use
cables coming out of one port on the box and going back into another port.

We're using this successfully with multiple 10GE ports.

Jay
--
Jay Moran
http://tp.org/jay