[c-nsp] NTP Servers

Keith Medcalf kmedcalf at dessus.com
Sat Jun 30 22:15:53 UTC 2012

> those.  The beauty of most appliances is that they're easy to manage.  If it
> fails, download the latest ISO from company, burn it, boot appliance,
> restore it and you're back in business in an hour or so.  Keep in mind a
> linux kernel running just ntpd and some management necessities like ssh and
> http is pretty reliable.  Hardly any I/O, just a simple function it does.

http is a frilly pink bauble, not a management necessity.

Very basic linux with no frilly bauble's, ntpd, sshd, and vi.
Supports thousands of clients on a $10 80286 with 640KB RAM booting from a floppy.
Add $1000 and you can get the same thing as an "appliance".

---
()  ascii ribbon campaign against html e-mail
/\  www.asciiribbon.org