FYI Netflix is down

jamie rishaw j at arpa.com
Sat Jun 30 05:38:51 UTC 2012

you know what's happening even more?

..Amazon not learning their lesson.

they just had an outage quite similar.. they "performed a full audit" on
electrical systems worldwide, according to the rfo/post mortem.

looks like they need to perform a "full and we mean it" audit, and like
I've been doing/participating in at dot coms for a decade plus: Actually Do
Regular Load tests..

Related/equally to blame: companies that rely heavily on one aws zone, or
arguably "one cloud" (period), are asking for it.

Please stop these crappy practices, people.  Do real world DR testing.
 Play "What If This City Dropped Off The Map" games, because tonight, parts
of VA infact did.

Down: Instagram, Pinterest, Netflix, Heroku, Woot. Pocket(Read It Later),
and on and on.  A bunch of openID sites.  A bunch of DNS sites (think
zoneedit et al).  Infact, probably nearly a /12 if not more of space..

Blame lies both with AWS (again) and with these services providers.

They all should know better.

-j