technical contact at ATT Wireless

Jared Mauch jared at puck.nether.net
Fri Jun 29 03:20:46 UTC 2012

On Jun 28, 2012, at 10:35 PM, Joel Maslak <jmaslak at antelope.net> wrote:

> Which is why enterprises generally shouldn't use RFC1918 IPs for
> servers when clients are located on networks not controlled by the
> same entity.  Servers that serve multiple administration domains (such
> as VPN users on AT&T - or on some random home Linksys box) probably
> shouldn't be addressed using addresses that conceivably could be used
> at the other end.  But I'm probably fighting a losing battle saying
> that...

I've worked at places that do some combination of all public, all private and a mix..

Usually the places that work best have all public as they avoid mtu and other issues that arise. I expect the enterprise world to start coming around in the years to come to understand how they have damaged networking for the companies.

- Jared