Constant low-level attack

Lou Katz lou at metron.com
Thu Jun 28 20:31:56 UTC 2012

The other day, I looked carefully at my auth.log (Xubuntu 11.04) and discovered many lines
of the form:

      Jun 28 13:13:54 localhost sshd[12654]: Bad protocol version identification '\200F\001\003\001' from 94.252.177.159

In the past day, I have recorded about 20,000 unique IP addresses used for this type of probe.
I doubt if this is a surprise to anyone - my question is twofold:

1. Does anyone want this evergrowing list of, I assume, compromised machines?
2. Is there anything useful to do with this info other than put the IP addresses into a firewall reject table? I have done
   that and do see a certain amount of repeat hits.

-=[L]=-