Whois data compromised?

Mark Andrews marka at isc.org
Tue Jun 26 21:53:25 UTC 2012

In message <CADfGf67aMjhr+bSDo4kLpfzcyZJZw5bx0uscW_9sgrQ7rz6nsQ at mail.gmail.com>
, Eric Rosenberry writes:
> Not sure where this data got injected into the system (or who knows,
> perhaps it's a DNS injection attack or something), but this certainly is
> not right.  :-(

It's perfectly NORMAL.  Just the owners of SWINGINGCOMMUNITY.COM,
BEYONDWHOIS.COM, SHQIPHOST.COM, NASHHOST.NET and UNIMUNDI.COM playing
games.

It would just be nice if "single out" actually worked. :-)

Mark

% whois -h whois.internic.net =facebook.com

Whois Server Version 2.0

Domain names in the .com and .net domains can now be registered
with many different competing registrars. Go to http://www.internic.net
for detailed information.

   Server Name: FACEBOOK.COM.ZZZZZ.GET.LAID.AT.WWW.SWINGINGCOMMUNITY.COM
   IP Address: 69.41.185.229
   Registrar: TUCOWS.COM CO.
   Whois Server: whois.tucows.com
   Referral URL: http://domainhelp.opensrs.net

   Server Name: FACEBOOK.COM.MORE.INFO.AT.WWW.BEYONDWHOIS.COM
   IP Address: 203.36.226.2
   Registrar: INSTRA CORPORATION PTY, LTD.
   Whois Server: whois.instra.net
   Referral URL: http://www.instra.com

   Server Name: FACEBOOK.COM.LOVED.BY.WWW.SHQIPHOST.COM
   IP Address: 46.4.210.254
   Registrar: ONLINENIC, INC.
   Whois Server: whois.onlinenic.com
   Referral URL: http://www.OnlineNIC.com

   Server Name: FACEBOOK.COM.KNOWS.THAT.THE.BEST.WEB.HOSTING.IS.NASHHOST.NET
   IP Address: 78.47.16.44
   Registrar: HETZNER ONLINE AG
   Whois Server: whois.your-server.de
   Referral URL: http://www.hetzner.de

   Server Name: FACEBOOK.COM.GET.ONE.MILLION.DOLLARS.AT.WWW.UNIMUNDI.COM
   IP Address: 209.126.190.70
   Registrar: DIRECTI INTERNET SOLUTIONS PVT. LTD. D/B/A PUBLICDOMAINREGISTRY.COM
   Whois Server: whois.PublicDomainRegistry.com
   Referral URL: http://www.PublicDomainRegistry.com

   Domain Name: FACEBOOK.COM
   Registrar: MARKMONITOR INC.
   Whois Server: whois.markmonitor.com
   Referral URL: http://www.markmonitor.com
   Name Server: NS3.FACEBOOK.COM
   Name Server: NS4.FACEBOOK.COM
   Name Server: NS5.FACEBOOK.COM
   Updated Date: 25-apr-2012
   Creation Date: 29-mar-1997
>>> Last update of whois database: Tue, 26 Jun 2012 21:48:03 UTC <<<

	[notice snipped]
%

--
Mark Andrews, ISC