IPv6 /64 links (was Re: ipv6 book recommendations?)

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Fri Jun 22 00:28:20 UTC 2012

On Jun 21, 2012, at 4:40 PM, Masataka Ohta wrote:

> Owen DeLong wrote:
>
>> Does not scale. Not enough IPv4 addresses to do that for 6.8
>> billion people on the planet.
>
> It is the first step to have the RSIP style transparent Internet.
>
> The second step is to use port numbers for routing within ISPs.
> But, it is not necessary today.

Still doesn't scale. 40 bits isn't enough to uniquely identify a
conversation end-point. If you use port numbers for routing,
you don't have enough port numbers for conversation IDs.

>> What if my ISP just routes my /48? Seems to work quite well,
>> actually.
>
> Unlike IPv4 with natural boundary of /24, routing table
> explosion of IPv6 is a serious scalability problem.

Solvable. IPv6 has enough bits that we can use map/encap or
other various forms of herarchical overlay ASN-based routing
to resolve those issues over time.

Owen