How to fix authentication (was LinkedIn)

Alexander Harrowell a.harrowell at gmail.com
Thu Jun 21 12:23:50 UTC 2012

On Thursday 21 Jun 2012 04:16:22 Aaron C. de Bruyn wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 20, 2012 at 4:26 PM, Jay Ashworth <jra at baylink.com> wrote:

As far as apps go, loads of them use OAuth and have a browser step in
their setup.

So this adds precisely one step to the smartphone sync/activation
process - downloading the key pair from your PC (or if you don't have a
PC, generating one).

that covers vendor A and most vendor G devices. "what about the feature
phones?" - not an issue, no apps to speak of, noOp(). "what about
[person we want to be superior to who is always female for some
reason]?" - well, they all seem to have iPhones now, so *somebody's*
obviously handholding them through the activation procedure.

obviously vendor A would be tempted to "sync this to iCloud"...but
anyway, I repeat the call for a W3C password manager API. SSH would be
better, but a lot of the intents, actions etc are the same.